free web tracker

  • < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://bigwhitehat.blogspot.com" /> < meta name="DC.Identifier" content="http://bigwhitehat.us">
    < link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bigwhitehat.com/" />

    bigwhitehat

    “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that is in the right and keeps on a-comin’.” Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger.

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas

    Good guys wear white hats. And they never run out of bullets.

    Saturday, February 18, 2006

    Trolls, Treasure Trolls and how to deal with them.

    Most of us have dealt with trolls. They find us by using search engines, hopping links or chasing back comments we have made. Most of them have no blog to call their own. Some do. Most of us delete their comments. Some of us block their IP addresses from our comments.

    I have come into contact with a type of troll which is new to me. These are not the semi anonymous non-blogging variety. These are not the anti-something liberal stoppers by who think they can pick a fight and win. This species is special. I call them treasure trolls.

    Treasure trolls can have many identities, even multiple parody blogs. They are ruthless in their commenting. These treasure trolls think they have us all figured out. They try so hard to get into our heads. The sad thing is it seldom works.

    My latest encounter is Bettie Jo. I am pretty sure that Bettie Jo is also Philbert and Esperanto Manimal. I picked up this one from my buddy Espella Humanzee. The multiple personalities make this one a real treasure. The Esperanto personality is really good. It is a full fledged parody of Espella. I personally feel this is flattery. It may not be as good as the Texas Monthly Bum Steer Awards. But it is good flattery none the less. Fools insults are always good flattery.

    These days trolls have taken to changing IPs on a regular basis. Many are college students with access to many computers. This being the case, I have adopted new tactics. I have started to edit their comments very creatively. Also I will post comments under their identities. These comments are typically calculated to infuriate them. Upon seeing this happen the trolls go away in a big hurry.

    I must point out that the comment threads on my blog belong to me. They exist for my own pleasure and I can do what I want with them. The comment threads on your blog belong to you. You may also do whatever you please with them.

    Posting IPs is also a big help to other bloggers. I know many of you want to comment here freely without fear of picking up trolls. Here are some IPs you may want to ban:

    65.110.230.200

    24.9.243.169

    70.92.127.65

    69.231.187.51

    24.126.246.190

    207.200.116.

    12.110.14.

    69.144.158.58

    172.194.72.188

    12.110.14.162

    24.9.243.169

    71.246.178.186

    69.231.118.241


    If you are a troll, don't think you're guaranteed a link. These trolls are special.