free web tracker

  • < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://bigwhitehat.blogspot.com" /> < meta name="DC.Identifier" content="http://bigwhitehat.us">
    < link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bigwhitehat.com/" />

    bigwhitehat

    “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that is in the right and keeps on a-comin’.” Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger.

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas

    Good guys wear white hats. And they never run out of bullets.

    Sunday, January 29, 2006

    West Texas Blues

    Once upon a time, there was a rowdy bar in Juarez called the Lobby. As you might imagine, the place was completely populated by Texans. One of them was swinging from the rafters while he played his Stratocaster. Let me introduce you to a real live West Texas Legend.

    My first encounter with Long John Hunter was at the Ector county fair. My parents let me play hookie on the opening day of the fair so I could help set up the booth. It was early and I was the only kid around. I was ten years old and he was playing that evening. I walked up to a radio station booth. He was sitting in the shade under the awning with the strat in his lap and a smile on his face. He motioned for me to come over. “Boy, do you know your chords?” I nodded and said, “Some.” He smiled, put my hand on the neck and said, “Show me G.” I held the chord while he strummed and riffed down in the high frets.

    Echo saw him first on my college campus. I remember the looks of amazement and joy on her face. Watching somebody discover live blues is a truly fantastic experience. Long John was fantastic that night. I took some wonderful photos. I’ll publish them once I have digitized them.

    Buy Long John Hunter Music.



    Choice Lyrics from Ride with Me.

    I think I’ll ride on into Dallas
    Just get my carburetor clean
    Oh yes, I’ll ride on into Dallas
    Just to get my carburetor clean
    ‘Cause you Fort Worth women
    You dirty up my gasoline

    I think I’ll ride on down to Houston
    To Galveston the sea shore town
    Oh yes, I’ll ride on down to Houston
    To Galveston the sea shore town
    Or maybe stay out here in West Texas
    Where the BIG LEG women can be found