free web tracker

  • < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://bigwhitehat.blogspot.com" /> < meta name="DC.Identifier" content="http://bigwhitehat.us">
    < link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bigwhitehat.com/" />

    bigwhitehat

    “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that is in the right and keeps on a-comin’.” Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger.

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas

    Good guys wear white hats. And they never run out of bullets.

    Wednesday, September 21, 2005

    Blogging Art and Addictive Hobbies

    When Echotig convinced me to blog, I had no idea that it would be this addictive. I had no idea I would enjoy it this much. I had no idea that it would start so many friendships. I had no idea.

    My first online friendship started in 1988 when email was still in its infancy. I had a pen pal in Singapore who sysopped a bulletin board as did I. We were both attending nerd schools on different sides of the world. To our amazement and the amazement of others, we corresponded daily. In 1988 few believed that was possible.

    Things have improved since then. Blogging gives me an outlet. I need creative outlets and this one only requires as much time as I give it. It also can be kept up with short sessions. But I have felt for a while now that I wanted it to be better than it is.

    So I started playing around with dreamweaver trying to come up with a new skin. It did not take me long to the discover this is a project that takes real skill. I don’t want to wait until I have developed that skill. So I started looking at blog stuff on the web. I decided I should pay a graphic designer to do this.

    As you all can imagine, the first person I thought of was Darlene. I am concerned however. Most of the stuff I have seen her do is too feminine for me. So I figured if she has to macho it up, I should give her some good material.

    I thought I should use some art. Not just any art but, art that screams TEXAS! Immediately I thought of my favorite artists: Dalhart Windberg and Kyle Polzin.

    My parent’s and grandparent’s homes were always filled with Windberg’s work. We had prints of his stuff since I could walk. I grew up finding the wildlife hidden in his landscapes. My own home has all I could steal from my folks. When I have the opportunity, I go to signings to talk to the man. About 10 years ago, in Odessa Texas, he talked with me for two hours about my own photography. He may not know me but I love this fella.

    One of the other artists in his Gallery is the young up and comer Kyle Polzin. He is definitely from the same school of thought and a master in his own right. His land and seascapes remind me of Windberg but he shows his own style. Look out for Kyle. He has the stuff!

    I’m no sycophant. I doubt these artists will ever look at this blog or read this post. I’m just that big of a fan.

    Hopefully the artists and the Gallery will let me use their art on the new blog skin. I’m also going to purchase bigwhitehat.com. I hope Darlene doesn’t think that I’m too big of a headache and charge me large amounts of cash. I hope I can get more traffic without getting political. I hope.

    Creativity is a plant. Either it is growing or it is dying. I’m going to keep watering.