free web tracker

  • < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://bigwhitehat.blogspot.com" /> < meta name="DC.Identifier" content="http://bigwhitehat.us">
    < link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bigwhitehat.com/" />

    bigwhitehat

    “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that is in the right and keeps on a-comin’.” Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger.

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas

    Good guys wear white hats. And they never run out of bullets.

    Sunday, March 05, 2006

    Road Trip

    We planned to go to see my Mother in Law in Kentucky. That didn’t pan out. Sometimes a change in plans is quite the blessing. We had one fantastic day.

    Echo and I decided to go to Waco. Most Americans hear Waco and think of David Koresh. But, Waco is far more than that. Waco is a fantastic spectacle of Texas History. It is the quintessential Old West town. Even though parts of it look like anywhere else, a theme of winning the west is ever present.

    We started off at the Texas Ranger Museum and Hall of Fame. I grew up on stories about Frank Hamer and Manuel T Gonzaullas so this is pretty special to me. I have decided to make this trip without the children sometime so I can truly soak it in.

    We pulled into the parking lot and I went into the visitor’s center because we did not know where to go eat. The lady pointed me to the typical stuff we could get anywhere. I asked, “Don’t you know of something unique and local that I can’t find 50 of in Dallas?” Her face lit up and she drew directions on a map with a highlighter, “You will love this place.”

    We then all stretched our legs and made our way to the entrance. We were greeted in the lawn by a statue of George B. Erath. Then, we made our way inside. The outstanding thing about this museum is the character of these men. At the crux of their character is a quote from Capt. Bill McDonald, “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that is in the right and keeps on a-comin’.”

    After the museum we went to eat at a little place called Buzzard Billy’s. The food was good but the company was better. There is nothing like getting the family away from the house.

    Echo posted about our afternoon. Suffice it for me to say, Dr Pepper is a wonderful legacy of the Old West too.

    We left in the late afternoon to join my parents, grandparents, great nephew, aunt and uncle a few miles away. My Aunt and Uncle have a Hill Country hideaway that I saw for the first time. It is spectacular.

    We had an amazing day.