free web tracker

  • < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://bigwhitehat.blogspot.com" /> < meta name="DC.Identifier" content="http://bigwhitehat.us">
    < link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bigwhitehat.com/" />

    bigwhitehat

    “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that is in the right and keeps on a-comin’.” Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger.

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas

    Good guys wear white hats. And they never run out of bullets.

    Wednesday, March 08, 2006

    The Exception/ Accomplice


    This is not actually my neighbor’s cat. But it looks just like him. The neighbors cat is the exception to the rule with my dogs. This cat can not only enter the yard but eat, sleep and play with the dogs.

    One might think that a cat like this must have gained this status by winning a fight with the dogs. Not so. They liked each other from day one.

    This cat is huge. I’ll bet he weighs at least twenty pounds. The reason I don’t have an authentic picture is that he is camera shy. If I have no camera he will rub against my calves. If I take out a camera he is gone in a flash.

    You might think that he is all cuddles. You would be wrong. He is also a skilled hunter. He is sure death to any mice, squirrels or baby possums that might be in the area. But it gets worse. He is also a skilled fighter. He sends other tomcats running away within seconds of seeing them. He has a more sinister streak than this.

    The first two times I found dead cats in the yard, he stood on the fence looking. The last time when I actually saw the kill he was also watching. Prior to this I was in the front yard pulling weeds from the Callas. I heard a cat fight then the dogs barking. I ran back to see the trouble and I saw the end of a fluffy cat. There he was, watching. I have no doubt that he chased the poor creature into the yard. When I called the dogs off and picked up the poor thing, big boy ran away as if he was guilty.

    I guess this is a rough neighborhood.