free web tracker

  • < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://bigwhitehat.blogspot.com" /> < meta name="DC.Identifier" content="http://bigwhitehat.us">
    < link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bigwhitehat.com/" />

    bigwhitehat

    “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that is in the right and keeps on a-comin’.” Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger.

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas

    Good guys wear white hats. And they never run out of bullets.

    Monday, December 19, 2005

    It's in the way that you use it.


    Robin titled a post with a song title the other day. It stuck in my head. So I hope this does the same to her.

    Now we go to crux of the matter.

    I spent today with a sick son. Alex was home today with a stuffy head and an earache. He had mixed feelings about that. He says he likes skipping school. He doesn’t really mean it. He would rather be there. I drove Echo into work and of course he went too. I tried to keep him quiet. Being quiet is tough for him. I just listened a while.

    He talked himself mute. After the Benadryl set in, he nodded off. As I watched him sleep, I contemplated how quickly he is growing up. Soon we will be all out of sick days together. Soon we will simply be out of days. Yesterday I held him in my hands. Tomorrow he will be riding into the sunset. He dreams of wearing a little tan beret. He just might one day. And I won’t be able to take care of him anymore.

    So I will savor the moments. Parents don’t get much time. But I don’t think it takes more time. We have enough. It’s up to us to make the most of it.