free web tracker

  • < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://bigwhitehat.blogspot.com" /> < meta name="DC.Identifier" content="http://bigwhitehat.us">
    < link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bigwhitehat.com/" />

    bigwhitehat

    “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that is in the right and keeps on a-comin’.” Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger.

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas

    Good guys wear white hats. And they never run out of bullets.

    Thursday, December 01, 2005

    Heirlooms: Ozzie part 2

    It is strange. The details of life are often profound. Little things that many seldom notice can symbolize so much. My grand father stands here on the beach in San Diego a few weeks before departing for the South Pacific. He is wearing stacy adams shoes and a grey piped Stetson. That same Stetson topped his head for years. It became a symbol of great value to me.

    To him a grey piped Stetson was simply a good looking hat. To me that hat symbolizes what is good and right in a man. It means telling the truth. It means treating people right. It means stepping up and doing the right thing even when that is hard to do.

    There are so many times that this man stopped me and made me listen. Sometimes we would walk around the farm with cold guns just to make me listen. Sometimes we would drive away together just to make me listen. He has a knack for getting me alone and encouraging me to do the right thing. He has a talent for cutting away the distractions and concentrating on what really matters. He has the ability to remind me that I am accountable to my God and my conscience. He has me all figured out.

    I seriously doubt that he even remembers the moments that have made a difference. I doubt he associates golf balls, cane poles and shotgun shells with profound turning points in my life. But I do. These are the symbols of the times when his encouragement helped make me who I am.

    Do you treasure your heirlooms? I know I do.