free web tracker

  • < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://bigwhitehat.blogspot.com" /> < meta name="DC.Identifier" content="http://bigwhitehat.us">
    < link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bigwhitehat.com/" />

    bigwhitehat

    “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that is in the right and keeps on a-comin’.” Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger.

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas

    Good guys wear white hats. And they never run out of bullets.

    Tuesday, November 15, 2005

    The Four Seasons

    An old Texism states Texas has four seasons: Almost Summer, Summer, Still Summer and Christmas. Today marks the end of Still Summer. Tis the season.


    The other day I put away the straw hat and donned the felt hat. Almost nothing feels as good as a felt hat. Today, I partook of another rite of passage. The picture shows my felt hat atop the stub that was a banana tree. A frost is likely tonight. Bananas trees don’t like frost much. Preparing them for cool weather is a rite of passage for me.

    In the past I have just cut the whole tree down about ankle high. Then when Almost Summer rolls around I cut the rotten end off and the Tree starts growing again. One of my compadres cut off the leaves and wrapped his last year. This year he had 8’ trees by mid March. So now the broad leaves are cut. I used the leaves and feed sacks to wrap the trunks. I hope I get the same results my friend did.

    The weather changes as time marches on. The clock ticks down on the game. I am far from the fourth quarter. But also far from a comfortable lead. I have to keep my head in the game. I must defend well and run up the score. Folks are relying on me. I don’t want to disappoint them. It aint bad though. I love this game.

    Post Script: That good post I promised is still on the way. It is about someone special. He is alive and kicking so I want to get it just right. I need to digitize some pictures and shorten it a little. Adios.