free web tracker

  • < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://bigwhitehat.blogspot.com" /> < meta name="DC.Identifier" content="http://bigwhitehat.us">
    < link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bigwhitehat.com/" />

    bigwhitehat

    “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that is in the right and keeps on a-comin’.” Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger.

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas

    Good guys wear white hats. And they never run out of bullets.

    Thursday, June 02, 2005

    The felt hat goes in the box.

    Today I put away my felt hat. The weather is quite warm so I have been wearing my straw hat for some time. But I have kept both on the hat rack until now. The practical reason that a hat man does this is the unpredictable weather we have in the spring. The other reason is all tied up in the symbolism.

    Putting the hat back in the box is a sign of the passing time. So when you do it, you can’t help but think of the recent past. Today I will ponder all I have and haven’t achieved. Time is fleeting. The children grow quickly. I grow older. The seasons pass and the felt hat returns to the box.

    So, the straw hat is on its own. No more doubling up and procrastinating. I don’t have time for fence sitting. Let’s get busy. I want to get things done. Thoreau said, “…men lead lives of quiet desperation….” He also said he wanted to live life deliberately and suck the marrow out of life and know that he had indeed lived. So I must once again step out and live life on purpose.

    If you’re putting away a hat, God bless you and God bless your purpose.