free web tracker

  • < link rel="DCTERMS.replaces" href="http://bigwhitehat.blogspot.com" /> < meta name="DC.Identifier" content="http://bigwhitehat.us">
    < link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://bigwhitehat.com/" />

    bigwhitehat

    “No man in the wrong can stand up against a fellow that is in the right and keeps on a-comin’.” Captain Bill McDonald, Texas Ranger.

    My Photo
    Name:
    Location: Texas

    Good guys wear white hats. And they never run out of bullets.

    Wednesday, June 01, 2005

    Difficulty and Jalapenos













    Difficulty is today’s subject. Why difficulty? Because, difficulty is easy talk about.

    Fate is notorious for spicing up life with difficulty. Have you led a life of ease? Even if you answered yes, I’d bet you could still name a few moments where you had to overcome or fail.

    I know difficulty doesn’t seem like normal subject matter for a blog. You may even think that I am didactic and preachy. The fact of the matter is: I am not some self important nitwit with an invisible chip on my shoulder. Another fact is: I am actually happy despite the many difficulties I face. I am amazed how the happiest people I know have to deal with the most difficulty. That is why this is perfect subject matter for a blog.

    I have a theory. I suppose that the reason the happiest people deal with the biggest problems is these people have learned to be happy by force. These folks make a choice to make the best out of any situation. Their difficulties actually contribute to their joy.

    My name is not Pollyanna. I think that real optimism and joy have to be based on the truth. This truth is forged in overcoming the difficulties of your past and knowing that you can handle whatever the future brings.

    Wait. There is more. Did you get through the difficulties of your past alone? Did you have help? Was it your spouse, your parents, a sibling, a friend, your children or God? Most of us can’t do everything ourselves. We need help. Some times I merely need to recognize that help.

    One of my sons is autistic. His nickname is Tiger. It suits him well. Because of his condition, Tiger is often difficult. But, the reassurance that I need to carry on is right there in his face. Tiger is frequently frustrated by the fact that his thoughts are bound up by his inability to communicate. But as we figure out things, he lights up with joy. If he can be happy, so can I.

    My grandfather has survived two wars the great depression and a plethora of health problems. He is one of the happiest people I know. I want to be like him. I am amazed when he asks me how I cope with my own problems. My troubles pale in comparison.

    My own life is peppered with personal failure and ill will from others. Yet, I have to say it has been a wonderful ride this far.

    Troubles are like hot peppers. They can make you cry and sweat but without them, life is just sort of bland.

    I hope that your day is good. Enjoy that pepper.